10.14.2008

current read and states of mind.


My current read is How to Practice, The Way to a Meaningful Life by His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

I'm not reading it to appear spiritual or even be remotely philosophical about things... That would be suicide. Sometimes I cringe at the fact that I'm reading it. I also try to fold/hide the cover when I read it on the train... which I don't even know why I'm doing it. It's not like I'm reading some cheap ass drug store romance paper back. I picked up the copy from work simply because I thought it would be interesting to read and learn about what the Dalai Lama would have to say about living life. I'll be honest that I'm having a slightly difficult time reading this since it goes in, uh circles.

It's not a boring a read, quite the opposite actually. I just don't think I'm at a point in my life where I could suddenly drop everything and follow suit. There are however very interesting points in which the Dalai Lama discusses in the book. Like how everybody aims for two things in life... one being to achieve happiness and second to rid of suffering. There's also a chapter where it describes the process of dying (in eight parts!) and how one could ready him/herself by visualizing these parts/steps as a form of daily meditation. Another notable meditative process I thought that was interesting is called imaginative meditation where in you envision yourself of having qualities you do not yet have. It's very similar to what others call visualization which I actually practice myself. The Secret, which I've never read, is another thing that I think would fit this bill. So does Paulo Coehlo's book The Alchemist. I find it very fascinating how all these different ideas/beliefs actually over lap.

I like how everything is simply laid out. How truths such as pink elephants in the room are honestly put on it's pages. We all need a little kick in the nuts once in a while.


Today at work I picked up a copy of David Sedaris' When You are Engulfed in Flames which I plan to read right after I finish the Dalai Lama's book (I'm already more than half way done). I know that my dad would love this book given that its all about spirituality and mind power and that's why I'm taking it with me when I come home in December for him to read it.

---

Doing the window is taking me more time than I thought it would. With all the Jewish Holidays I have to work around with I've given myself a deadline this coming Sunday. I'm very eager to see the outcome as pieces are slowly coming together. The striped couch was delivered last night by the upholsterer and turned out very well! The china cabinet is finally painted and given a new glossy and clean look. Globular light bulbs for the steel chandelier are still waiting to be put in. I'm currently assembling a still life of bird skulls, a horn and a tortoise shell all to be housed under a bell jar. I've also chosen a completely knock-out-your-socks color to paint the walls with. The window also needs a few bric-a-brac to warm it up. I'm leaning towards Hollywood Regency for this one.


Once the window is complete pictures will follow.

2 comments:

Joanie said...

I think I need that book from Dalai Lama. Is it nice ba? How was it so far?

lazydog said...

joan, the book is just alright... its taking me too long to finish it. pero there are parts that really make sense...